War risks are those related to two (or more) belligerents engaging in hostilities, whether there has been a formal declaration of war or not.
An insurance against war perils normally covers the following risks:
- War or war-like conditions
- Use of arms or other implements of war in wartime, or in the course of military exercises in peacetime
- Capture, condemnation in prize, confiscation and other similar interventions by a foreign state or power
- Riots, strikes, lockouts, sabotage, etc.
- Piracy and mutiny (depending on which set of conditions is applicable)
War policies are closely linked with marine policies. In order to avoid any gaps in cover, we recommend that the insured covers both policies under the same set of conditions.